- Adult Indicators Data for Years 2010 and Prior for National Oral Health Surveillance System
- 1999-2010 BRFSS Data for NOHSS Adult Indicators
- Oral Health Prevalence
- Adult Oral Health
- Dentist Services
- Dental Cleaning
- Access To Dental Care
- Access To Health Care
- Dental Care Surveillance
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
- National Oral Health Surveillance System (NOHSS)
NOHSS Adult Indicators 2010 and Prior BRFSS Data
This dataset includes information from Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) for indicators of adult oral health for 1999 and even years from 2002 through 2010. National estimates are represented by the median prevalence among 50 states and the District of Columbia data.
Get The Data
- ResearchNon-Commercial, Share-Alike, Attribution Free Forever
- CommercialCommercial Use, Remix & Adapt, White Label Log in to download
This dataset is provided by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Oral Health. National Oral Health Surveillance System (NOHSS) is a collaborative effort between CDC’s Division of Oral Health and the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD). In this dataset estimates are prepared from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) public use datasets. Estimates in this file are not age adjusted, and may differ slightly from estimates available from the BRFSS website or Chronic Disease Indicators due to small differences in definition, age adjustment or rounding.
NOHSS is designed to monitor the burden of oral disease, use of the oral health care delivery system, and the status of community water fluoridation on both a national and state level. It is also designed to track oral health surveillance indicators based on data sources and surveillance capacity available to most states. The Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) and the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) were instrumental in developing the framework for chronic disease surveillance indicators, including these oral health indicators.
Oral Health Data includes the following indicators of adult oral health from the NOHSS:
– Dental Visit. Adults aged 18+ who have visited a dentist or dental clinic in the past year.
– Teeth Cleaning. Adults aged 18+ who have had their teeth cleaned in the past year (among adults with natural teeth who have ever visited a dentist or dental clinic). Please note: Data for this indicator is not available for years after 2010.
– Complete Tooth Loss. Adults aged 65+ who have lost all of their natural teeth due to tooth decay or gum disease.
– Lost 6 or More Teeth. Adults aged 65+ who have lost six or more teeth due to tooth decay or gum disease.
– Oral Health Data displays prevalence estimates for these indicators without adjustment for age. When comparing estimates between two states, consider the age differences in the state populations.
The data value unit used for this dataset is percentage.
About this Dataset
John Snow Labs; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
|Source License URL|
|Source License Requirements||
Oral Health Prevalence, Adult Oral Health, Dentist Services, Dental Cleaning, Access To Dental Care, Access To Health Care, Dental Care Surveillance, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), National Oral Health Surveillance System (NOHSS)
Adult Indicators Data for Years 2010 and Prior for National Oral Health Surveillance System, 1999-2010 BRFSS Data for NOHSS Adult Indicators
|Year||Identifies the year in which the data is collected ranging from year 1999-2010.||date||required : 1|
|State_Abbreviation||The two-letter abbreviation to represent different states of United States.||string||required : 1|
|State||Full name of the different states of United States from where data is gathered.||string||required : 1|
|Adult_Indicator||Refers to the adult oral health indicator within the survey.||string||required : 1|
|Is_Survey_Response||It includes the survey responses about different questions.||boolean||required : 1enum : Array (  => true  => false )|
|Data_Value||The actual value or responses collected against each of the survey questions.||number||level : Ratio|
|High_Confidence_Interval||The higher limit of the confidence interval.||number||level : Ratio|
|Low_Confidence_Interval||The lower limit of the confidence interval.||number||level : Ratio|
|Sample_Size||The sample size identifies the target individuals who gave responses against different survey questions.||integer||level : Ratio|
|Breakout||It identifies the actual Breakout value or responses collected against each of the survey questions.||string||-|
|Location_ID||The numerical identity of the location.||string||required : 1|
|Latitude||Identifies the geographical location Latitude.||number||-|
|Longitude||Identifies the geographical location Longitude.||number||-|
|Breakout_Category||The category from which the responses belong.||string||required : 1enum : Array (  => None  => Gender  => Age  => Race  => Income  => Education )|
|Breakout_ID||The alphanumeric identity of break out.||string||-|
|Sort_Breakout_ID||It identifies the way in which the breakout id is sorted.||integer||required : 1|
|Indicator_ID||It includes the identity of different Indicators.||string||required : 1|