Acute Hospital Outpatient Activity By Health Board Treatment

$179 / year

This dataset includes information split by location for health board of treatment, hospital and council area, specialty, age and sex, and Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD) for new and Did Not Attend (DNA) appointments; and split by specialty and health board of treatment for return and total appointments and the number of attendances for outpatient activity for acute hospital care services.


The quarterly acute hospital activity publication provides data on outpatient activity, inpatient and day case activity and beds for National Health Service (NHS) Scotland. This data release covers the period from the quarter ending March 2013 to the quarter ending March 2018. The aim of this dataset is to summarize the completeness of the data used in the publication and provide details of known issues with national data affecting this release. The data used is sourced from hospital administrative systems across Scotland and extracted from the following three datasets held by Information Services Division (ISD):
– SMR01: The SMR01 dataset comprises episode-based patient records relating to all inpatients and day cases discharged from non-obstetric and non-psychiatric specialties
– SMR00: The SMR00 dataset contains patient-based information on appointments at outpatient clinics in all specialties (except A&E and Genito-Urinary Medicine) in NHS Scotland
– ISD(S)1: ISD(S)1 is the only source of bed occupancy and bed availability data and contains summarised data by NHS Board of Treatment, hospital and specialty

This data has been used to assess the performance of these services, to plan for future needs, to look at quality improvement, to see how services are changing over time and many other uses. There were just over 1 million (1,045,140) outpatient attendances from 1 January to 31 March 2018. Of these, 34 percent (356,257 attendances) were new cases. The remaining 66 percent (688,883 attendances) were patients returning for follow up appointments. 9 percent of new outpatient appointments were not attended without prior warning.

Date Created


Last Modified




Update Frequency


Temporal Coverage

1st January 2013 to 31st March 2018

Spatial Coverage



John Snow Labs; Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland;

Source License URL

Source License Requirements


Source Citation



Scotland Hospital Care, Scotland Outpatient Activity, Scotland Outpatient Appointments, Scotland Outpatient Attendances

Other Titles

Acute Hospital Care Split by Different Outpatient Activity Variables, Hospitals' Quality of Care Comparison for Outpatient Health Board of Treatment, Hospital Care Outpatient Appointments and Attendances Records By Sex, Age, SIMD and Speciality, Outpatient Activity for Acute Hospital Care Services By Treatment

Quarter_DateIdentifies the final date of the
Quarter_CoverageIndicates the quarter period in text format.string-
Health_Board_CodeIndicates either the 9 digit health board code or "scot" for Scotland. For the residence data files, the health board code and name is in relation to the health board of residence. For the treatment data files, the Health board code and name is in relation to the health board of treatment.string-
Health_Board_NameIndicates the health board name.string-
Location_CodeIndicates either the 5 digit hospital code; 9 digit health board or council code; or “scot” for Scotland.string-
Location_NameIndicates the name of the location.string-
Outpatient_Activity_VariablesIndicates the variables of outpatient activity for health board treatment.string-
Variable_CodeIndicates the variable code of outpatient activity for health board treatment.string-
Variable_DescriptionIndicates the variable description or rating of outpatient activity for health board treatment.string-
Variable_RatingIndicates the variable rating of outpatient activity for health board treatment.integerlevel : Ordinal
Appointment_TypeIndicates the type of the appointment for health board treatment.string-
CountIndicates the number of appointments.integerlevel : Ratio
RateIndicates only available for DNAs, i.e. DNA (Did Not Attend) rate.numberlevel : Ratio
2013-03-31Jan - Mar-13scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew359300
2013-06-30Apr - Jun-13scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew366972
2013-09-30Jul - Sep-13scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew372884
2013-12-31Oct - Dec-13scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew374599
2014-03-31Jan - Mar-14scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew374664
2014-06-30Apr - Jun-14scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew372237
2014-09-30Jul - Sep-14scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew372191
2014-12-31Oct - Dec-14scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew371986
2015-03-31Jan - Mar-15scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew375795
2015-06-30Apr - Jun-15scotScotlandscotScotlandAllNew367062