The Operation Outcome resource is used in the following circumstances:
– When a RESTful interaction or operation fails
– As the response on a validation operation to provide information about the outcome
– As part of a message response, usually when the message has not been processed correctly
– As the response to a batch/transaction, when requested
– As part of a search’s Bundle response containing information about the search
This resource is not used for reporting clinical or workflow issues associated with a proposed or ongoing action; these would be handled using Detected Issue or other resources. Operation Outcome is not designed to be persisted or referenced from other parts of the workflow. It is possible to have both Operation Outcome and Detected Issue together, where the Operation Outcome might indicate that a requested action was rejected due to a clinical issue and the Detected Issue provides the details of the issue.