The Quarterly Activity Return (QAR) is a Provider Commissioner collection with providers submitting their data broken down by commissioner. Commissioners extract the data from Extraction Viewer before validating and signing off their data. Commissioners do not need to upload a QAR return unless they need to add anything, for example, data for a non-English provider or Independent Sector provider.
Private patients should be recorded as Non-English Commissioner, code NONC. Commissioner returns should cover all activity for which the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is financially responsible, regardless of whom it is commissioned from. They should include all NHS activity as well as non-NHS activity figures related to the volumes of total activity commissioned from non-NHS organizations e.g. voluntary, private and non-NHS statutory bodies.
From April 2013 nationally NHS England commissions specialized services, primary care, offender healthcare and some services for members of the armed forces. The Quarterly Activity Return is based on consultant specialties. From Q3 2007/08 only the ‘All specialties’ (specialty code: C_999) total has been required on the return, we no longer need the specialty breakdown.
Outpatient data include:
– The number of GP and other referrals for first consultant outpatient appointments
– The total number of attendances at consultant outpatient clinics including patients seen for their first appointments as well as those attending for subsequent or follow up appointments
– The number of patients who did not attend their outpatient appointment (first or subsequent) and gave no advance warning, or arrived too late to be seen.
Elective admission events are:
– Decisions to admit
– Patients admitted
– Patients failed to attend
– Removals other than admission