- PSI Inpatient Safety Indicators
- Improving Quality in Healthcare
- JCAHO Accreditation Patient Safety Indicators
- Patient Advocate Safety Indicators
- Composite Measures (PSI90)
- PSI Safety Indicators
- Patient Safety Accelerators (PSI)
- Quality Indicators
- Healthcare Quality
- JCAHO Accreditation
- Patient Advocate Measures
AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Patient Safety Indicators dataset shows a set of measures that screen for adverse events that patients experience as a result of exposure to the healthcare system. The Patient Safety Indicator is a tool to help identify potentially preventable complications or adverse events for patients in the system level or provider level.
Get The Data
- ResearchNon-Commercial, Share-Alike, Attribution Free Forever
- CommercialCommercial Use, Remix & Adapt, White Label Log in to download
Patient Safety Indicators is one of the four Quality Indicators (QI) developed by the Agency For Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). These are a set of indicators providing information on hospital complications and adverse events during clinical procedures, surgeries, and childbirth. The AHRQ QIs use software to identify the adverse events or complications which needs further study in order to improve the healthcare quality. They use the readily available administrative data from typical discharge records to identify the adverse events. The Patient safety indicators are defined on two levels- Provider level and Area level. The Provider-level indicators are measures of preventable adverse events and complications in patients receiving their initial care and hospitalization. The Area level indicators are potentially preventable complications that occur in a given area.
PSI (Patient Safety Indicators) composite measure summarizes quality across multiple indicators and helps to monitor healthcare quality over time or across regions and populations using a method that applied at the national, regional, State or provider/area level.
AHRQ PSI Composite Measure #90 includes Patient Safety for Selected Indicators.
PSI Code is PSI90 and PSI Value is Patient Safety for Selected Indicators.
– Composite measure (PSI90) includes:
– PSI #03 Pressure Ulcer
– PSI #06 Iatrogenic Pneumothorax
– PSI #07 Central Venous Catheter-related Bloodstream Infections
– PSI #08 Postop Hip Fracture
– PSI #09 Postop Hemorrhage or Hematoma
– PSI #10 Postop Physiologic and Metabolic Derangements
– PSI #11 Postop Respiratory Failure
– PSI #12 Postop PE or DVT
– PSI #13 Postop Sepsis
– PSI #14 Postop Wound Dehiscence
– PSI #15 Accidental Puncture or Laceration
Steps in PSI composite calculation
– Observed Rate = Numerator/Denominator
– Numerator = No of cases with preventable complications or adverse event, Denominator= No of risk for the events
– Risk-Adjusted Rate = (Observed/Expected) * National Observed Rate
– Risk-adjusted rate is computed based on a hierarchical logistic regression model for calculating a predicted value for each case. Then the predicted values among all the cases in the hospital are averaged to compute the expected rate.
– Composite Rate = sum (Smoothed Rate * Weights) where sum of Weighted scores of different indicators are measured.
– Smoothed Rate = Adjusted Rate is “shrunk” to the National Risk-Adjusted Rate.
About this Dataset
John Snow Labs; HealthData.gov;
|Source License URL|
|Source License Requirements||
Composite Measures (PSI90), PSI Safety Indicators, Patient Safety Accelerators (PSI), Quality Indicators, Healthcare Quality, JCAHO Accreditation, Patient Advocate Measures
PSI Inpatient Safety Indicators, Improving Quality in Healthcare, JCAHO Accreditation Patient Safety Indicators, Patient Advocate Safety Indicators
|Year||Year of data||string||-|
|Hospital_Name||The name of the facility where services were performed based on the Facility Identifier, as maintained by the NYSDOH Division of Health Facility Planning.||string||-|
|County||A description of the county in which the hospital is located.||string||-|
|Region||Geographical region in which the hospital is located. Values include: Bronx, Capital/Adiron, Central NY, Finger Lakes, Hudson Valley, Kings, Long Island, Manhattan, SI/Queens, Western NY, Statewide||string||-|
|Composite_Measure||Measure of quality of healthcare or patient safety for selected indicators. The weighted average of the observed-to-expected||number||level : Ratio|
|Lower_95CI||A confidence interval is calculated for each measure and then compared to the state average or a Target Range for that measure. Lower 95% confidence interval around the Composite Measure.||number||level : Ratio|
|Upper_95CI||A confidence interval is calculated for each measure and then compared to the state average or a Target Range for that measure. Upper 95% confidence interval around the Composite Measure.||number||level : Ratio|
|Compare_to_State||Statewide statistical significance. Values: Above, Below, NS (Not significantly different)||string||-|
|Year||Facility ID||Hospital Name||County||Region||Composite Measure||Lower 95CI||Upper 95CI||Compare to State|
|2015||1||ALBANY MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL||Albany||Captal/Adiron||0.98||0.83||1.12||NS|
|2015||2||ALBANY MEDICAL CENTER - SOUTH CLINICAL CAMPUS||Albany||Captal/Adiron||0.99||0.42||1.56||NS|
|2015||4||ALBANY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL||Albany||Captal/Adiron||0.76||0.37||1.16||NS|
|2015||5||ST PETERS HOSPITAL||Albany||Captal/Adiron||0.79||0.63||0.95||NS|
|2015||12||OSWEGO HOSPITAL - ALVIN L KRAKAU COMM MTL HEALTH CENTER DIV||Oswego||Central NY||1.0||0.43||1.57||NS|
|2015||37||CUBA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC||Allegany||Western NY||1.0||0.43||1.57||NS|
|2015||39||MEMORIAL HOSP OF WM F & GERTRUDE F JONES A/K/A JONES MEMORIAL HOSP||Allegany||Western NY||0.87||0.37||1.38||NS|
|2015||42||UNITED HEALTH SERVICES HOSPITALS INC. - BINGHAMTON GENERAL HOSPITAL||Broome||Central NY||0.87||0.44||1.31||NS|
|2015||43||OUR LADY OF LOURDES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC||Broome||Central NY||1.22||0.93||1.51||Above|