- US Crime Reporting Statistics 1981-2014
- US Crimes and Number of Offenses
- Uniform Crime Reporting Program US 1981-2014
- Crime Reports
- United States Crime
- Crime Reported to Police
- Property Crime Statistics
US Crime Data 1981-2014
This dataset contains the information on crimes which were reported to police from 1981 to 2014. Crime categories are divided into two more categories i.e violent & property crimes. Property crimes include burglaries crimes, larceny-thefts crimes, motor vehicle thefts while violent crimes include murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, legacy rape, robbery and aggravated assault.
Get The Data
- ResearchNon-Commercial, Share-Alike, Attribution Free Forever
- CommercialCommercial Use, Remix & Adapt, White Label Log in to download
Violent crimes include four crime categories:
(1) Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, as defined in the UCR program, is the willful (nonnegligent) killing of one human being by another. This offense excludes deaths caused by negligence, suicide, or accident; justifiable homicides; and attempts to murder or assaults to murder.
(2) Forcible rape is the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will. Assaults or attempts to commit rape by force or threat of force are also included; however, statutory rape (without force) and other sex offenses are excluded.
(3) Robbery is the taking or attempting to take anything of value from the car, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.
(4) Aggravated assault is an unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault is usually accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. Attempts are included since an injury does not necessarily have to result when a gun, knife, or other weapon is used, which could and probably would result in a serious personal injury if the crime were successfully completed.
In general, property crimes include four crime categories:
(1) Burglary is the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft.
(2) Larceny-theft is the unlawful taking, carrying, leading, or riding away of a property from the possession or constructive possession of another. It includes crimes such as shoplifting, pocket picking, purse snatching, thefts from motor vehicles, thefts of motor vehicle parts and accessories, and bicycle thefts, in which no use of force, violence, or fraud occurs. This crime category does not include embezzlement, ‘‘con’’ games, forgery, worthless checks, and motor vehicle theft.
(3) Motor vehicle theft is the theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle. This definition excludes the taking of a motor vehicle for temporary use by those persons having lawful access.
(4) Arson is any willful or malicious burning or attempt to burn, with or without intent to defraud, a dwelling house, public building, motor vehicle or aircraft, personal property of another, etc. Only fires determined through investigation to have been willfully or maliciously set are classified as arson. Fires of suspicious or unknown origins are excluded.
About this Dataset
John Snow Labs; U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation;
|Source License URL|
|Source License Requirements||
Crime Reports, United States Crime, Crime Reported to Police, Property Crime Statistics
US Crime Reporting Statistics 1981-2014, US Crimes and Number of Offenses, Uniform Crime Reporting Program US 1981-2014
|State||State Name||string||maxLength : 30|
|Crime_Year||Year of Crime Reported 1981 to 2014||date||-|
|Population||State Population||integer||level : Interval|
|Property_Crime_Total||Total Property Crime per 100,000 Population||integer||level : Interval|
|Burglary||Burglary Crime||integer||level : Interval|
|Larceny_Theft||Larceny Theft Crime||integer||level : Interval|
|Motor_Vehicle_Theft||Motor Vehicle Theft||integer||level : Interval|
|Violent_Crime_Total||Total Violent Crime per 100,000 Population||integer||level : Interval|
|Murder_And_Nonnegligent_Manslaughter||Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter reported||integer||level : Interval|
|Legacy_Rape||Legacy Rape||integer||level : Interval|
|Revised_Legacy_Rape||Revised Legacy Rape||integer||level : Interval|
|Robbery||Robbery Cases||integer||level : Interval|
|Aggravated_Assault||Aggravated Assault||integer||level : Interval|