Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR End User License Agreement for Academic Research
Last updated: November 27, 2023
This Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR End User License Agreement (“EULA”) applies to academic researchers, educators, and students using any product of John Snow Labs in John Snow Labs’ Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR as defined below (hereinafter referred to “you”). This EULA is between you and John Snow Labs Inc., a Delaware corporation (“John Snow Labs”, “we” or “us”).
By downloading and/or using (as applicable) Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR of John Snow Labs (as defined below), you automatically agree to be bound by, and use it in compliance with, this EULA. This EULA, together with additional terms and conditions and/or policies referenced herein or located on https://www.johnsnowlabs.com and/or conveyed to you by John Snow Labs, is a legally binding contract between you and John Snow Labs.
PLEASE READ THIS EULA CAREFULLY BEFORE DOWNLOADING OR USING SPARK NLP FOR HEALTHCARE AND SPARK OCR.
We may make changes to this EULA from time to time. When we do so, we will revise the “last updated” date given above. The then-current version of this EULA will supersede all earlier versions. You agree that your continued use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR after such changes have been published to our EULA will constitute your acceptance of such revised EULA.
1.1 “Spark NLP for Healthcare” means the Spark NLP for Healthcare Library by John Snow Labs, for Python, Java, or Scala, including both software and models, all updates, upgrades, new versions, new releases, enhancements, improvements, and other modifications (“Modifications”) made or provided pursuant to the support services.
1.2 “Spark OCR” means the Spark OCR Library by John Snow Labs for Python, Java, or Scala, including both software and models, all Modifications.
1.3 “Website” means https://www.johnsnowlabs.com being owned and operated by John Snow Labs.
2. Important Notice
2.1 By downloading and using any product from Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, you acknowledge that the use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR can be subject to the restrictions and controls imposed by United States export regulations.
2.2 You represent and warrant that you do not intend to use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR for any purpose prohibited by United States export laws and regulations, including, without limitation, terrorism, cyber-attacks, cyber-crimes, money-laundering, industrial espionage, or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons proliferation. Further, you represent and warrant that you are not listed as a denied party on any list governing United States exports.
3.1 Our Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR can be used by an individual.
3.2 In the event you have entered into a separate written agreement with John Snow Labs regarding Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR that contemplates terms that are inconsistent with this EULA, the written agreement shall control and this EULA will not apply to you to the extent inconsistent with such written agreement, or, if such written agreement is contemplated to be in lieu of this EULA, then this EULA shall not apply at all.
4. License Granted
4.1 Subject to your compliance with this EULA, as well as any other applicable policies, laws and regulations, John Snow Labs grants you non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited, license to download, access to, modify, and use of, Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR worldwide (subject to applicable export laws) during the term of this EULA (as described below) under the following conditions:
- The license can be used solely for research, private study and personal use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR for the duration in which the license key provided to you is active and is not expired, or unless terminated or suspended under this EULA.
- This license is personal to you and is limited by all terms and conditions set forth in this EULA;
- The license is granted as a non-commercial, attribution, share-alike and no-derivate-work license as more detailed below;
- Under the non-commercial license, you can use the license for your personal, non-commercial purpose and you must not use this license to obtain any commercial advantage or monetary compensation;
- Under the attribution license, you must give the appropriate name of the creator and a copyright notice of John Snow Labs, provide link to this license and indicate if changes were made;
- Under the share-alike license, you must distribute modified works only under a license identical to this EULA;
- Under the no-derivate-work license, you can perform only verbatim copies of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, not derivate works or remixes based on it;
- If the license is used for academic research purpose, the publication shall be made under an open-access, open-source and open-data license.
4.2 You can download Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR from the Website.
4.3 Except for your pre-existing rights and this license granted to you, we and our licensors retain all rights, titles and interests in and to our Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR and all Modifications, all related intellectual property rights, including trademarks (whether registered or pending), domain and business names. Our Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR is protected by applicable intellectual property laws, including United States copyright law and international treaties.
4.4 You acknowledge that any Modifications, including ideas, suggestions, concepts, processes or techniques which you provide to John Snow Labs related to Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, the Website or its business shall become John Snow Labs’ property without any compensation or other consideration payable to you by John Snow Labs, and you do so of your own free will and volition. John Snow Labs may or may not, in its sole discretion, use or incorporate the Modifications in whatever form or derivative John Snow Labs may decide into the Website, its software, services, documentation, business or other products, or any future versions or derivatives of the foregoing. You hereby assign all rights on a worldwide basis in perpetuity to John Snow Labs in any Modifications and, as applicable, waive any moral rights.
4.5 You will be deemed to have taken any action that you permit, assist or facilitate any person or entity to take related to this EULA, your content or use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR. You are responsible for end users’ use of your content as a result of the Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR. You cannot transfer or sublicense your right to use the Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR to any third party.
5. License Restrictions
5.1 You will access or use our Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR solely via John Snow Labs’ Website.
5.2 Except as otherwise explicitly provided in this EULA or as may be expressly permitted by applicable law, you will not, and will not permit or authorize any third party to perform any of the following actions:
- reproduce, translate, enhance, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or create derivative works of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or its technological features or measures;
- use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR beyond the license duration;
- use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR for any illegal purpose or in violation of the US laws and regulations and your applicable laws;
- rent, lease, sell, resell, loan, distribute, or sublicense access to any of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR;
- circumvent or disable any security or technological features or measures of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR;
- use our intellectual property rights without our express prior written authorization or in violation of this EULA;
- use, directly or indirectly, Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or any ideas, features, functions, organization, structure, application program interface, graphics, or user interface of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR in connection with the design, development, manufacture, marketing, or sale of a Competitive Product, as defined below, that is sold for revenue, offered as an open source, or is intended for use or sale in any geographic area of the same general type, use, or function. The term “Competitive Product” shall mean any product or component thereof, product line or service that has been designed or is being designed, developed, manufactured, marketed or sold by anyone other than John Snow Labs and is of the same general type, performs similar functions, or is used for the same purposes as John Snow Labs’ Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR;
- copy, distribute, or resell any of the information; audio, visual, and audiovisual works, or other content made available on Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR (collectively, “Content”) or compile or collect any Content as part of a database or other work;
- use any automated tool (e.g., robots, spiders) to access or use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, or to store, copy, modify, distribute, or resell any Content;
- circumvent or disable any rights management, usage rules, or other security features of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR;
- use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR in a manner that overburdens, or that threatens the integrity, performance, or availability of, Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR; or
- remove, alter, or obscure any proprietary notices (including copyright and trademark notices) on any portion of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or any Content.
5.3 If you breach any of this EULA, the above license will terminate automatically.
6. Fees and Taxes
6.1 This license is for non-commercial use. If you wish to use our Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR for commercial use, please contact us at support@JohnSnowLabs.com.
7. Support and Updates
7.1 Under this EULA, support services are excluded.
7.2 From time to time John Snow Labs can perform updates to our software. If available, such updates may include bug fixes, new features and/or enhancements. You are solely responsible for deploying such updates at your own risk and liability.
8. Term and Termination
8.1 This EULA will become effective as of the date of your order of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR and shall be in effect until terminated.
8.2 John Snow Labs may immediately suspend or terminate your right to use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, if you or your end user’s use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR:
- is in breach of this EULA;
- poses a security risk to Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR;
- could adversely impact our systems, Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or other customers;
- could subject us, our affiliates, or any third party to liability; or
- could be fraudulent.
8.3 Further, we may terminate this EULA with you at any time and at our sole discretion by contacting you through the contact details you provided us with.
8.4 We may also immediately suspend or terminate your right to use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, if you have ceased to operate in the ordinary course, made an assignment for the benefit of creditors or similar disposition of your assets, or become the subject of any bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation, dissolution or similar proceeding.
8.5 You will immediately cease use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR and promptly irretrievably destroy all product(s) from the Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR and/or all proprietary data of John Snow Labs obtained as a result of this license during any period of suspension, or upon termination of this EULA.
8.6 All provisions which by their nature are intended to survive termination shall survive termination of this EULA.
9. Access to Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR
9.1 We do not provide you with the equipment to access Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR. You are responsible for all fees charged by third parties related to your access and use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR (e.g., charges by Internet service providers).
9.2 You are responsible for monitoring your use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, including payment of all fees and/or taxes related to such access and use. You agree that John Snow Labs is permitted to request and you hereby consent to provide John Snow Labs information related to your use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR for auditing purposes.
9.3 You also certify that you are legally permitted to use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, and take full responsibility for the selection and use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR. This EULA is void where prohibited by law, and the right to use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR is revoked in such jurisdictions. John Snow Labs makes no claim that Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR may be lawfully used outside of the United States. If you use Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR from outside of the United States, you do so at your own risk and you are responsible for compliance with the laws of jurisdiction.
11. Links and Third Party Content
11.1 Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR may display, or contain links to, third party products, services, and websites. Any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers, or other information that constitutes part of the content expressed, authored, or made available by other users or other third parties, or which is accessible through or may be located using Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR (collectively, “Third Party Content”) are those of the respective authors or producers and not of us or our shareholders, directors, officers, employees, agents, or representatives.
11.2 We do not control Third Party Content and do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Third Party Content. We are not responsible for the performance of, we do not endorse, and we are not responsible or liable for, any Third Party Content or any information or materials advertised in any Third Party Content. By using Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent, or objectionable. We are not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused to you by your use of or reliance on any goods, services, or information available on or through any third party service or Third Party Content. It is your responsibility to evaluate the information, opinion, advice, or other content available on and through our Products.
12. Proprietary Rights
12.1 John Snow Labs will not obtain any rights under this EULA from you (or your licensors) to your content.
12.2 Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR is and remains the exclusive property of John Snow Labs and its licensors. Except for the access and use rights expressly set forth in this EULA, no license or other rights in or to Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or John Snow Labs trademark(s) and other intellectual property rights therein, are granted to you, and all such licenses and rights are expressly reserved. You will not remove, alter, or obscure any proprietary notices (including copyright and trademark notices) on any portion of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or any Content.
13.1 “John Snow Labs,” the John Snow Labs logo, and any other product, business or service name or slogan, whether registered or pending, displayed on Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR are trademarks of John Snow Labs, Inc. or its suppliers or licensors, and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of John Snow Labs or the applicable trademark holder. You may not use any metatags or any other “hidden text” utilizing “John Snow Labs” or any other name, trademark or product, business or service name of John Snow Labs without our prior written permission. In addition, the look and feel of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR, including all page headers, custom graphics, button icons and scripts, is the service mark, trademark and/or trade dress of John Snow Labs may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without our prior written permission. All other trademarks, pending trademarks, registered trademarks, product names and company names or logos mentioned in Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR are the property of John Snow Labs Inc. and/or their respective owners. Reference to any products, services, processes or other information, by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, supplier, or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation thereof by us.
14. Disclaimer of Warranties
14.1 YOUR USE OF SPARK NLP FOR HEALTHCARE AND SPARK OCR IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE PRODUCTS AND CONTENT EACH ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. WE AND OUR SUPPLIERS AND LICENSORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF THE PRODUCTS OR ANY CONTENT, AND YOU RELY ON THE PRODUCTS AND CONTENT AT YOUR OWN RISK. ANY MATERIAL THAT YOU ACCESS OR OBTAIN THROUGH OUR PRODUCTS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY MATERIAL THROUGH OUR PRODUCTS. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM US OR THROUGH OR FROM OUR PRODUCTS WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS EULA.
15. Limitation of Liability
15.1 WE AND OUR SUPPLIERS AND LICENSORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THESE DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF OUR PRODUCTS AND CONTENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF US AND OUR SUPPLIERS AND LICENSORS OF ALL KINDS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE PRODUCTS AND CONTENT (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTY CLAIMS), REGARDLESS OF THE FORUM AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ANY ACTION OR CLAIM IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNTS, IF ANY, THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR YOUR USE OF THE PRODUCTS AND CONTENT.
16.1 To the full extent permitted by applicable law, you shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless John Snow Labs, its affiliates and its licensors, and each of their respective employees, officers, directors, and representatives from and against any claims, damages, losses, liabilities, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or relating to any third party claim concerning: (a) your use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR; (b) breach of this EULA or violation of applicable law by you; (c) any content or the combination of such content with other software, content or processes, including any claim involving alleged infringement or misappropriation of third-party rights by such content or combination; or (d) breach of any obligation or duty you owe to a third party.
17. Legal Notices
17.1 Enforcement of this EULA will be governed by the laws of the State of Delaware, excluding its conflict and choice of law principles. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue for any claims arising out of or related to this EULA or your use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR will lie in the state and federal courts located in Sussex County, within the State of Delaware, and you irrevocably agree to submit to the jurisdiction of such courts. Our failure to enforce any right or provision in this EULA will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision unless acknowledged and agreed by us in writing. In the event that a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this EULA to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
18.1 We may use your contact information to notify you if we have any legitimate interest or if we need to notify you on any important information related to your use of Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR. We will not send you newsletters unless you expressly consented to such notifications.
19. Contacting Us
19.1 If you have any questions or concerns about Spark NLP for Healthcare and Spark OCR or this EULA, you may contact us by email at support@JohnSnowLabs.com.